On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 12:11:12AM -0600, Neal wrote:
> I suggest that we abandon IRC for a more secure method for collaboration. We
> could use either AOL or MSN Messenger, or ICQ.

the thing to ask yourself is 'do we really have anything to secure?' this is
all discussion in a public forum anyway. if you have something you wish to
say privately to someone in a secure fashion, this is what GPG is for. if
everyone needs to see it, you don't need to keep secrets about it
(authentication is another matter, but again, GPG comes to the rescue is
anyone doubts that it's you).

in my experience, IM's are more trouble than they're usually worth. e-mail
and IRC serve my rapid messaging/communication needs. if you want to get
ahold of me, send me e-mail. if you want to converse rapidly, tell me to
join an IRC channel somewhere.

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator