nryberg at uspsoig.gov wrote:
> Would anyone be interested in compiling a list of potential locations for
> AP's?  I know the readership of this list is still fairly small, but I think
> things could blossom if we could even just get the beginnings of a network
> going.

What kind of network do people want ? Localised areas of free
connectivity with backhaul via DSL/Cable/<whatever> to the
Internet ? Or do people envisage a local version of
Seattle/BAWUG/Portland/NYC model, with a wireless network
which provides connectivity without relying on traditional
pay ISP services ? What kind of services would people make
available locally (local to the wireless 'net that is - i.e.
without having to go out over a traditional ISP) ?

Having done this kind of thing before (there's a 9600baud
data repeater on top of Moos Tower that I built many years
ago) the sprawl that characterizes the metro area really
sucks for reaching critical mass with a cellular/mesh model.

> I'd want to keep that private, for the security conscious among us (myself
> included - thus abbreviated lat/long data), but you get the idea.

Either way, folks can mark down 44.9232N/93.3333W as having an
open node up and running. 8dB omni to be added soon (if the
snow stays off the roof.)

I'll happily maintain a list (and create pretty maps) of metro
nodes, if people send coords to the list or me. I'll probably
not have time to do anything fancy like stick up a web page that
automatically updates maps etc in the near future, so if someone
wants to do that, speak up - I'll happily pass on being bookkeeper :-)
andyw at pobox.com

Andy Warner		Voice: (612) 801-8549	Fax: (208) 575-5634