On Thu, 7 Feb 2002, Mike Hicks wrote:
> Has anyone seen access points suddenly start running at very low
> speeds, even though the link has still negotiated to 11Mbps?  I was
> having trouble yesterday, as the Linksys WAP11 in my apartment was
> only allowing data transfers of 16kByte/s.  Rebooting the access point
> brought it back up to full speed.
>
> This may have coincided with my roommate resuming his WinXP laptop
> from hibernate -- he has some weird problem where the system takes
> several minutes to re-associate with the AP, and it's usually faster
> for him to reboot both XP and the access point.  He's using an Orinoco
> Silver card.

Yeah.

What firmware version are you running? Older ones have issues where they
will suddenly just show down for a while. Going to the newest firmware
should hopefully fix it.

Other possible issues are microwaves and 2.4ghz phones.

If you're at the new firmware, and no microwaves or phones, turning off
auto rate negotiation and forcing it to 11mb only sometimes works.