On Thursday (02/07/2002 at 04:03PM -0600), Austad, Jay wrote:
> Well range isn't that big of an issue.  It's line of sight.  A 40 foot mast
> is about $70, which should get you above the trees in most areas.  Using a
> 24db dish ($130), you can do about 23 miles with no amplifiers.
>
> You might run into zoning problems with an antenna that tall though.  That's
> why I'm going to get my ham radio license this weekend.  The FCC license
> overrides local ordinances on antenna height.  :)

ah...  not quite.  I'm glad you're getting your amateur license but it
is not true that having said license gets you any exception from these
local ordinances.  There is a federal ruling called PRB-1 which states
only that these municipalities must afford "reasonable accomodation"
for amateur antennas.  This still means you must get permits and most
cities still have height restrictions at 30' (some are even 20' or 10'
above the roof line) and you must battle with the city to get around
these limits.  It's a sad situation but we are not yet at the point
where an amateur license gets you anything more than some additional
consideration unfortunately.

Also, you may sometimes have to deal with CC&Rs (covenants, conditions
and restrictions) which are private contracts between the property owner
and the neighborhood developer.  These have absolutely no override
support at the federal level w.r.t. amateur antennas.  Only broadcast
TV antennas and 18" (actually up to 23") satellite dishes have been
federally preempted from these.

It would be my position that any successful deployment of this kind of
network would depend on finding good, high, public sites for repeaters
rather than at people's houses (since there will be only a few of us
with towers or the ability to install towers).  The majority of the
sites should plan on using small antennas such as loop yagis, grid
reflectors or flat panels and point them at the repeaters.  Then,
wireline access is provided from people's houses or other facilities
and put onto the network via these directional antennas.  A repeater
is perhaps two APs tied together with an ethernet crossover cable or
something more fancy like a single AP with an antenna switch that allows
it to automatically switch between an omni and a directional antenna
depending who the packet is for.  But it doesn't neccessarily provide
access to the wireline network.  It simply extends coverage of the
wireless network.

I have a 40' tower here (45.056N 92.978W 1073MSL) in Mahtomedi and I
have line of site to Wisconsin...  but a somewhat less than ideal
microwave view to the south and southwest.

Count me in for playing along too.  I have lots of RF test equipment
for building, tuning and testing antennas and microwave systems and a fair
amount of experience installing said gear.  As I mentioned, I am in
Mahtomedi-- which is just south of White Bear Lake, a northeastern
suburb of St. Paul--  and NOT a suburb of Duluth inspite of what
Andy Warner will tell you.

Chris  ARO N0JCF

--
Chris Elmquist | mailto:chrise at pobox.com | http://www.pobox.com/~chrise