This mailing list exists for the sole purpose of exchanging information
about using wireless computer communication. The de facto standard for
e-mail is plain text, without any HTML formatting or unneccesary x-messages.
Almost all users adhere to this almost without question so that what they
have to _say_ gets heard, without making a fuss about _how_ the message gets
across.

To get upset over the fact that I use Outlook as an e-mail client is
slightly more frivolous than my personal choice of color for my car.  If I
use it responsibly (read: no HTML), and treat the other users on this list
with respect, I expect the same in kind.

If you can't tell already, I'm really tired of being told I'm using a
'crappy' e-mail client.  I can't deny that Outlook is 'a breeding ground for
viruses', but that's what well configured MTU, good firewalls, and thorough
virus scanning is for - I'm fairly confident in saying that just about 99%
of the TCWUG users are technically compentant enough to implement those
three controls on their own.

Let me ask you this - are you afraid of contracting a virus through this
list?  I sincerely doubt it.  Most clients are *NIX based, and are fairly
tightly controlled.  The ones that are most susceptible (other Outlook
users) are the ones that will suffer, NOT the people who shout, protest,
whine and complain that I'm using a 'crappy' client.

To abuse a technical feature used by Outlook, just to continue a personal
vendetta against Outlook users pretty much places you in the same camp as a
rank newbie sending out a plea for help in HTML format.  Either way, I'm
getting garbage that I don't want or expect.  At least the newbie is
innocent, using x-message-flags is a unique blend of vandalism and childish
fit throwing.

I've said it privately before, I'll take my opinion on the road with this
one:  If you expect the TCWUG community to reach some sort of critical mass
in terms of enough users to create a usable, shared, open network, you have
to be open to users who don't use the same operating system, who don't use
the same e-mail client, or who don't know one end of a PCMCIA card from
another, but are willing to learn enough about wireless to be dangerous.

In short, you've got to be 'nice', or you won't get to have any fun with
anyone else.  You don't have the luxury of ticking off others just because
it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.  Sure you get the nifty thrill of
being a 'hacker' (in the negative sense), but in the end, you're stuck with
your own AP, and very few others to talk to.

As a last point, one of the offending x-message lines suggested that the
user go to cws.internet.com/mail.html, which I thought rather ironically
lists MS Outlook express as the second best client, and Outlook 2000 in the
respectable number nine spot.  Guess they're not that crappy after all.

- Nick