Jay -

You've got a good point that I wasn't really thinking of - overall cost is a
lot lower for infrastructure.  I guess I was thinking about how much money
Joe User would have to lay out to get his house hooked into the network.
When I see the base price of $515 for the "Subscriber Module" that sits in
the home, I can't see anyone really going for it that already has the phone
lines and/or digital cable running through their house.

However, given that DSL starts at a minimum of $39 for Qwest/MSN, and the
DSL modem is an additional cost (or not depending on specials), there might
be room to prorate the cost of the user's equipment out over the life of
their use.  What if TCWUG matched or bested the average dial-up rate -
approximately $20 or so??  I don't know what you all pay for connectivity -
I'm at $15 for dial-up, after paying through the nose for Roadrunner cable,
I'm just fine for that.  If I could get wireless, whatever the technical
model might be, I'd be happy to shell out $20 a month for high speed.

In a crazy way, this might be a sort of odd little entrepenuer opportunity -
get together with 2 other people in your neighborhood - split the $2100 cost
for a startup AP + 3 subscriber units, and split the cost of DSL to the AP.
Hmmm... it's still darned expensive for a normal user to get it up and
running.  But once, you got over the hump, and had five or six other people
sharing the costs, it'd probably be a money maker.

I can take this offline if people think it's way off-topic and too
commercial for TCWUG.

- Nick