From: tcwug-list-admin at tcwug.org [mailto:tcwug-list-admin at tcwug.org]On
Behalf Of Austad, Jay
Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 4:58 PM
To: 'tcwug-list at tcwug.org'
Subject: RE: [TCWUG] Richochet boxes?

> > However, given the amount of freedom that AOL/TW/ATT
> Broadband current
> > gives their customers, it would likely be very easy to
> compete against
> > them.  Just don't modify people's traffic, don't block
> anything, let
> > them run servers, provide static IP's, and provide tiered service
> > levels.  All of these things are an improvement over ATT
> Broadband's
> > shitty network, and if ATT came in and offered wireless,
> it's probably
> > safe to say it's going to suck just as much as their cable modem
> > service does.
>
> Uhm, the cable companies have announced plans to cap bandwidth.
>
> Unless you pay the fees, running servers is a no-no, period,
> on the networks you talk about above.

I was making the point that a *non*-ATT/AOL/TW network would likely be able
to offer more since all of the cable modem companies are clamping down on
bandwidth and servers.  Right there is a reason for people to choose the
local wireless provider over the 800lb gorillas.

Jay
Minnesota
http://www.tcwug.org
tcwug-list at tcwug.org