On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 03:35:45PM -0500, Nick Ryberg wrote:
> Mike -
>
> You're exactly the kind of person I was hoping would speak up!

I wish others would as well :)

> Bandwidth consumption is a critical problem - how do you control it
> at your ISP?

A person pays for the size of their link - 56Kbps, 64Kbps, 640Kbps,
etc.

Most people do *not* use their link to their full extent all the time.

For wireless, you are using the same model, except that this model is
completely shared, ala cable.

So you have 11Mbps available (802.11b), it is also half duplex (just
like normal ethernet), so max theoretical is lower.

There is nothing that I know of that can take care of those issues
without having a central place to pass packets through that can do the
limiting.

Anyone who has had a network at their office of 10Mbps will know that
10Mbps disappears very very quick and moving to 100Mbps does wonders,
but not forever, so then you move to full duplex and switched networks
and things get a lot better.

Wireless doesn't have that.

Modems, DSL, T1s, point to point connections, and you have the ability
to take care of issues on a customer by customer basis based on speed
of the link.

Wireless doesn't have that either.

As I said, I look foreward to the next meeting...

--
Mike Horwath           IRC: Drechsau         drechsau at Geeks.ORG
Home: 763-540-6815  1901 Sumter Ave N, Golden Valley, MN  55427