> If it comes to the point where we'd start selling access and charging
> people, we'd have to get some other form of connectivity, and we're also
> going to need, at minimum, a couple of /24's.

not necessarily. depends what kind of service we're offering. I don't think
it's entirely unreasonable to just use a 10-net for our city-wide wireless
network. we'd be able to run servers or whatever for our own benefit; and if
you *really* wanted to make them visible to the outside world (and couldn't
get a wired connection for some reason), what about begging or borrowing
some loose IP addresses from someone with a gateway willing to forward them
on to your internal address?

help me understand what you're saying: what did you have in mind, that we
need public IP addresses for? certainly there are plenty of uses for them;
but we may be in something of a bandwidth-constrained situation fairly
quickly, and so servers/IP phones may have their functionality curtailed
severely if they're depending on wireless and don't have a landline to
provide (sort-of-guaranteed) bandwidth.

I've also heard this sort of scheme discussed as a way to do roaming
wireless... you have a static IP address on your device, and whenever you get
handed off to a new access point, that AP just routes the traffic back
across the network (using BGP or whatever to find the route) to whatever the
former gateway was.
Was it Spencer who brought that idea up?

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises