On Tue, 23 Jul 2002, steve ulrich wrote:

> if i might interject here - i believe that there are mechanisms which
> might be useful for folks that want to host access points for a co-op
> but are concerned about violation of their AUP.
>
> a discussion of tunneling mechanisms might be in order for our next
> meeting.  they definitely violate the intent (and quite likely the
> explicit wording) of an AUP but may provide a mechanism for working
> around some thorny issues.

Actually, Mike has some very good points WRT bandwidth control
and access control. And (as if it weren't obvious to all and sundry
by now) I have trouble with "gray market" bandwidth. The AUP
may be aggregious and wrong, but it is _their_ network, and they can
set whatever terms of access they want that the law allows.

We have some good starting points for access control, but there
is obviously work necessary there. Does anyone have a good handle on
the firewalling rules necessary for bandwidth control?

--
Daniel Taylor
dante at plethora.net