On Mon, Jun 10, 2002 at 10:16:34AM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:
> >From slashdot:
>
> "The NYTimes is reporting that two guys in their garage have designed a low-cost
> wireless broadband solution that can transmit up to 20 miles. (A previous story
> described a 7km achievement in Australia.)

<sarcasm> Wow, 7km! I didn't know radio waves could go THAT far! </sarcasm>

> 					    Their company is called Etherlinx and
> they use the Wi-Fi 802.11b standard in a repeater antenna that people can attach
> to the outside of their homes. The technology, which apparently costs under
> $100, has been operating in a small for-pay trial in Oakland, CA for a year. Is
> this a solution to the 'last-mile' problem, hope for rural areas, and the death
> of cable/DSL? Read and be the judge."

Sounds like they're playing with prism2 cards and something similar to
the hostAP driver.. they claim to have covered some towns with 2mbit
data rates, of course, you can already do all this with frequency hopping
gear that deals better with interference, at 3mbit.

http://techmonkeys.org/~poptix                  GPG public key 0x01938203