On Friday (03/08/2002 at 01:23PM -0600), Nate Carlson wrote:
> On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Clay Fandre wrote:
> > > In my experience, Linksys AP's are fairly decent, but the Linksys cards
> > > suck.
> >
> > So what are some good APs? Or are they all pretty much the same?
>
> I've played with Cisco, Orinoco, Linksys, and D-Link.. out of those, the
> only one I don't like is my D-Link. The other 3 are pretty nice.. about
> equal range, etc..

Boy, I can second that!  I have burned weeks trying to get the D-Link DWL-650
Prism2 based card to work correctly with any flavor of Linux.  No can do.

Firstly, the card lies about what PCMCIA power supply voltage it should
get...  it tells the platform it should have 3.3v but it doesn't work for
beans at the voltage.  There's some secret voodoo to do to the driver
to get it to ignore the 3.3v request and use 5v instead-- which helps a
little...  but even after that, the card will die after random periods
of time and/or activity.

You can try the wlan-ng driver from Absolute Value Systems but once you put
that on the platform, then the other drivers (orinoco_cs for example) get
hosed and the Orinoco cards won't work anymore.  The Absolute Value
driver seems to want to be the ONLY wireless LAN driver on the machine
which I find very annoying.

I have absolutely no complaints about Lucent Orinoco cards in the Linux
world... along with the orinoco_cs driver.  They just work... and work well.

cje

--
Chris Elmquist | mailto:chrise at pobox.com | http://www.pobox.com/~chrise