I think you will find that 802.11a (which operates on 5.7GHz) is going to
be considerably more expensive for quite some time.  Additionally, it's
only faster over a much shorter distance and the rate will drop off
much more quickly, at comparable distances, than it would on 2.4 GHz 802.11b.

802.11b is so cheap and so widely deployed, I couldn't consider anything
else right now myself.

Make sure you understand the terms of service agreement with your ISP
w.r.t. giving access to other premises or users over your connection.
The cablemodem people are particularly "concerned" about this.

I would find an AP that allows connection of an external antenna easily
since at some point you will probably find that you'll need to put a
better antenna on it to give reliable access 'round the whole block.

Chris