mike-

802.11a is w/i the 5Ghz portion of the spectrum.  as such it's *much* more
susceptible to loss from obstruction.  additioanlly, i believe that the
original poster was interested in an AP that could be shared from a
community perspective.  802.11b is pretty much commodity hardware, whereas
802.11a isn't.

if all you're interested in is support for home or a fairly open office i
would look @ the 802.11a stuff.  but for community applications and
anything where you're interested in range .11b is the way to go.

when last we saw our hero (Sunday, May 05, 2002),
 Mike Horwath was madly tapping out:

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC