On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 06:07:26PM -0500, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> > dunno if you'd want to do much past 20 miles, your latency would start
> > getting up there...
> 	what's the max latency-limited range for 802.11b gear? 20mi is
> already well past the 1.5Km of 10base-T ethernet.

I've been involved (ie, climbing up the tower, and aiming antennas) in links
that went 20 miles, connected with a crossover cable to another radio, then
went another 20 miles, at one point (I no longer work for the company, so I
don't know the current status) we had a 'lan' (ie, no routers) from Mankato
to Willmar via multiple hops (at least 5, I could look up the total number
later), with proper frequency coordination, proper radio setup, and the
right amount of height it isn't a problem.

> > 802.11b supports "roaming", maybe stick an AP with multiple directional
> > antennas at a midpoint, acting as a repeater... just an idea.
>
> 	yeah, if we ever get someone in Waconia, it might be an option. :)

You should try war driving in the Waconia/Hutchinson/Glencoe area, theres
plenty of 802.11 and 802.11b equipment hanging off the water towers and
grain elevators.

http://techmonkeys.org/~poptix                  GPG public key 0x01938203