I would like to participate in #1 or #2, but it's not obvious to me how I
could help.  I live in the warehouse district of downtown Minneapolis on the
first floor of a 4 story apartment building surrounded by other 4+ story
buildings.  My line of sight out the windows is limited to 50 meters
currently and will be reduced to less than 10 meters when the building next
door is finished.  My guess is that this precludes me from providing any
kind of public access point or possibly even accessing someone else's.  Is
my guess correct?

On the bright side, there is currently a 20-30 meter tall construction crane
right outside my window.  I could covertly place an antennae on top of that.
;>

Mike Bresnahan