On Mon, 13 May 2002, Mike Horwath wrote:
> And how are you going to 'share' that bandwidth?
>
> Some horrible and massive NAT table and central router?  Sounds like a
> bitch to maintain.

Again, question we haven't even come close to tackling yet.  :)

Yeah.. a central NAT table would be a real pain.. hrmm.. suggsetions,
anyone?

> A big ass caching proxy server? (which would be very cool).

Yeah, it would be.. something to go on the list of things we want.

> Also, how would you get 'my' bandwidth?  I am not going to pay for
> more roof space (already did that for other projects) and while I
> would happily host it out of my home, the T1 costs are still $220/T1
> per month.  And being in Golden Valley - who lives around me to
> 'relay' off of?  Then let's get into the issue that 802.11b doesn't
> allow me a nice clean solution for my inhouse wireless, think of how
> much interference I'll get if I had a roofmount antenna?

Actually, if you do things right, the roofmount antenna won't interfere at
all with your in home stuff.. if you run them on two of the
non-overlapping channels (1 and 10 come to mind, as everything runs 6 per
default), you shouldn't see interference from the two separate wireless
networks. What type of problems are you having with your wireless 'net at
home? Interference with phones + microwaves, or just building materials in
the house don't lend themselves to 802.11b?

> If you guys can find a way to get the bandwidth from 'me', I'll find a
> way to donate some.  There will be a big AUP put into place, though,
> as I can not stand abuse or theft of services.  This might make some
> people shy away because I am a hardass.  So be it.

Really? Cool! I was just joking around.  :)  AUP == good, in my opinion..
if we are giving people 'net access over wireless (paid or for free), we
need to make sure they aren't doing things they shouldn't be with it.
Probably need to come up with a TCWUG-wide AUP, and then allow people who
decide to allow 'net access to tack on their own?