I think you're trying to reverse-engineer FCC rules a bit too much.

When it comes to wireless scanning, I think the Electronic Communications
Privacy Act (ECPA) has much more relevance.  That's the law that provides
Federal penalties to anyone who "intentionally intercepts, endeavors to
intercept, or procures any other person to intercept or endeavor to
intercept, any wire, oral, or electronic communication."   In other words,
the ECPA is the anti-eavesdropping law.

I don't know if this has been tested with wardriving, and I'm no lawyer.  I
also think there's a big logical difference between scanning for networks
and capturing packets -- but I don't know if the law sees a difference.

In any event, if it ever came to trial, I doubt an argument about FCC part
15 would hold water.  There's a big difference between "accepting"
interference and decoding transmissions.