Karl Bongers wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just bought a Dlink DWL-520 PCI card(w/external antenna),
> and a DWL-650 PCMCIA adapter($50 and $40 officemax).
>
> It will take me a while to learn/install wireless on Linux,
> and I wanted to ask if anyone can comment on using them
> under Linux.  My main concern is that I find out soon in
> case I need to return them if they are bricks under Linux.
> A quick google search shows that some people are using
> them, so looks like I might be in luck.
>
> Also, I am assuming I can get similiar functionality
> from the PCI card as a more expensive "access point"?
> (generally speaking that is...)

You have a choice of drivers/approaches:

	1. use the linux-wlan-ng driver
	   (http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan)
	   and configure both cards in ad-hoc mode.

	2. use the linux-wlan-ng driver for the
	   client/pcmcia card (see above) and the
	   hostap driver (http://hostap.epitest.fi/)
	   for the PCI card, and make that box act like
	   a real AP.

Personally, I'd recommend door number 2 as your ultimate
goal, but you can take door number 1 first.
andyw at pobox.com

Andy Warner		Voice: (612) 801-8549	Fax: (208) 575-5634