On Wed, Sep 11, 2002 at 12:57:52PM -0500, Andy Warner wrote:

> Obviously people are successfully doing similar things in the metro area
> (e.g. Implex - http://www.implex.net/services/access/wireless-area.cfm,
> [I'd take that map with a grain of salt] though they are using sectorised
> antennas, and karlnet firmware rather than vanilla 802.11b.) Anyone from
> Implex on the list ? Care to share your perspective ? Correct my description
> of your solution ?

I hope they are, I somewhat know a few of the guys up there, and spoke to them
about the TCWUG at the strictly business expo.

> Ack.
> Agreed 100%.
>
> Thanks for doing the somewhat thankless task of collating the
> info and making the maps, Matt. I have, however, noticed a slight
> inconsistancy in the posted maps. The SE corner of the moos6 coverage
> seems to move from Hwy5 & 35W (moos-survey1.png) to Hwy5 and Randolph
> (moos-survey4.png.) I'm interested in what kind of connectivity was
> achieved at this location (whichever it is.) The effect of that
> corner of the coverage envelope adds several square miles to the
> actual coverage area (moos-survey3.png.)

You're probably seeing is another network, in moos-survey1 (and all the others)
the networks are colored by what channel they're on, another AP on the same
channel is totally overlapping the range for the AP we had up. (probably implex,
I'm going to contact them today to see if I can get some MAC addresses for their
equipment, and perhaps provide them with maps.. frequency coordination, or at least
minimizing interference would be nice)

> > Does anybody out there have any experience doing this kind of
> > connectivity testing?  If so, are you willing to share your experience
> > with the group?
>
> I've never used kismet for a site survey. I've always associated, moved data
> and measured throughput, but I've never tried general coverage mapping of
> a moos-tower like substance using 802.11b. I suspect a script that continually
> looped associating with a central site, capturing stats with iwconfig or /proc,
> dhcp request, move some data, dhcp release, all the time snarfing gpsd data
> would be useful.

The signal levels are the same, regardless of being associated, or being in
monitor mode, but yes, actually associating to test is ideal, unfortunately
kismet will not do this anytime in the near future, the author feels that
this would push too close to being a tool used to gain access to networks
you're not supposed to be on. Maybe I'll automake something, I plan on
making (very small) bootable linux distro from CD or floppy that contains
all the drivers and programs for doing this sort of thing, I could easily
include the above functionality.