Hey Brian, Ben!

I ditto Ben here, certainly need to look into the legalities of this deal.
If it's something commercially available, be sure to read the directions
and use equipment type certified with the amplifier. (No manufacturer A's
card to Manufacturer B's amplifier to Manufacturer C's antenna stuff,
unless the documentation says that's an acceptable configuration.) Follow
the documentation. It already sounds like you are trying to homebrew parts
of the project; be careful. The power is likely not a large consideration,
but anything that may change the RF output is. A homebrew power supply may
work great, it also may case the RF to output past the legal limit.

Legalities aside, you need to provide us more specifics on what model,
manufacturer, etc. if you are looking for actual advice here. What you
have told us is the equivalent of "I drive a vehicle. It's a truck. The
electrical line to the gas pump keeps cutting in and out when I push the
accelerator. Where is the wire I look to fix?" Not knowing the specifics,
none of us are any help here.

If we knew that it was a late 80's Ford Ranger pickup, like the one I own,
we could tell you that this is a common problem, and the cable is located
on the driver's side, bottom side of the engine and provides current to
the gas pump as you accelerate. The insulation used on the wire sometimes
wears off through the years due to the salt from Minnesota roads.
Eventally it corrodes the insulation, and causes an intermittant
connection and failure to accelerate. So the truck stalls, and eventaully
quits working until you replace the wire and insulation.

*sigh* that was last week. 1988 was quite a year for Ford Pickup technology.

But, I digress...

Regards,
---Matthew Genelin---