I thought this whole exercise was to create a cloud in the Twin Cities, where
wireless users would have the ability to communicate between hotspots in disparate
geographic areas. The Moos Tower Project appears to be following a centralized
base station concept: low power mobiles uplinking to a centralized, higher
elevation receiver, which answers by downlinking to the same mobile by a
centralized, higher elevation transmitter.

There obviously are more legal and engineering issues than first thought.

I propose an alternative: using whatever bandwidth is available to individual
members, whether it be xDSL, ISDN, or dial-up modems, we can link hotspots
together. Depending on the topology of the network, sites may be major nodes with
routing capabilities, minor nodes with hubs or switches, or leaf nodes at end
points of the physical cloud.

Secure, encrypted transmission protocols would be an eventual necessity. All
traffic <must> adhere to contractual agreements with upstream providers. Between
private parties, i.e. node to node wireline links, there would be no such
limitations.

I can elaborate on this idea at the next formal meeting if you want me to.