On Dec 11, 2003, at 2:31 PM, Jay Haugen wrote:

> I'm looking of a way to use my TiBook and Airport Card at a couple
> places that have cable internet service but no wireless router.  Is
> there a product that works through the cable modems usb port that
> would put out a signal?  Or equivalent?  I thought about getting a
> cheap wireless router to carry with me but thought that the setup
> would be a hassle.  Anyone have any ideas?

I'd suggest getting a cheep wireless router to carry with you.  Setup
doesn't have to be a hassle - most of the time, the base station is
getting the IP address via DHCP, so you can keep that config loaded on
the base station.  With the Apple AirPort base station, their admin
software lets you save a config as a file on your machine, so switching
between configs is as easy as loading a file in for the config, and
rebooting the base station.  The product isn't too big, and you can get
a retractable ethernet cord so it can plug into any network.  The base
station automatically detects if you're needing to have a regular or
crossover connection to the network (Auto-MDI/MDIX I believe).

There are other base stations cheeper of course, but the space, ease of
use, and functionality sometimes are not always there.

cheers!

--
Ted Rattei
tedr at rattei.org