I had two meetings, morning and afternoon, at the Dunn Bros. on 3rd and
could not effectively use the Internet connection at either. The card (Dell
Latitude CSx 500 MHz PIII with Linksys 54g WPC54G) said it connected fine,
although a little slowly, to the AP. It then took a while to connect to the
Internet. When I pinged the router, many times I had 100% loss, other times
between 25 and 75% loss, sometimes perfect. Same when I pinged the DNS
server.

I went to the machines provided on the second floor and they worked
flawlessly, but my laptop would kind of halfheartedly load Web pages every
once in a while.

In the afternoon, I couldn't get any Internet connectivity, yet several
other folks with laptops seemed to be doing fine. I tried putting the card
in B mode from mixed, but that had no effect. All other networking settings
appeared nominal.

On the way home, I stopped off at a few open APs I know about and had no
trouble at all connecting and downloading my email.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Mike Ellsworth
Stratvantage Consulting, LLC
Helping Successful Companies Make Winning Technology Decisions
8273 Westwood Hills Curve
St. Louis Park, MN  55426
952-525-1584
mellsworth at stratvantage.com