Hey gang-

> I don't think that Chris stands corrected!!  I think the Mr. Pozner made
> some errors in his reading and interpretation of the code and left out
> important information in his technical paper.  First, Sec 15.201
> specifically deals with the certification of Carrier Current Systems which
> does not apply to 802.11.  Sec 15.203 deals with non-removable antennas
> (baby monitors, phones) but makes exception for Carrier Current Systems
> and
Wrong wrong wrong. Read 15.201. Part (a) specifies special requirements
for Carrier Current Systems, etc. but does not say that the equipment in
that part is the only equipment that pertains to part 15a. All devices
that carry part 15 licensing (e.g. wireless access points, etc.) fall
under the requirement of 15.201.

> other intentional radiators which must be measured in accordance with Sec
> 15.31(d).  Mr Pozner's concentration on point (c) of sec 15.204 was a
> misrepresentation of that section as set forth by the sectional premise
I won't argue for Mr Pozner's paper. I will argue only the interpertation
of the rules and regs that I know.

> Here is the Kicker.  None of the above matters because it is ALL
> superceded
> by the specific allowances set forth in Sec 15.247 and 15.249 with regards
> to operation within the bands 902-928 MHz, 2400-2483.5 MHz, and 5725-5850
> MHz.  In this case an antenna just needs to meet the technical
> requirements.
Absolutely wrong. Parts 15.247 and 15.249 do not exempt the requirement
for certification / authroization. Those parts only specify more stringent
technical standards to hold products to. Most of the time the idea is to
steer the commercial manufacturing world in one direction, and putting
technical requirements in the rules is one way to accomplish this.

> I have included below the aboved referenced items.   :-)

I would like to assume that the rest of the list read this, but seeing
that I received a few phone calls asking for "my side" of this discussion,
(and no other posts) I am guessing noone did.

In Sum, it is illegal to do what Scott was talking about. It's illegal do
attach non-certified (non-authorized) antennas to wi-fi cards, ap's, etc.
without authorization and/or certification. Part 15 also has a part for
temporary authorization, and spells out how to obtain it. (15.7).

Are you going to get busted? Not likely if you are Scott, Earl or me. But
if you were, say, an organization that has assets... Perhaps. If you are
an organization that has assets _AND_ deploys access points with illegal
radiators around town, then you should count on the fed coming to knock on
your door.

> For those of you that like to read go to:
> http://www.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/cfrassemble.cgi?title=199947
> Better than a glass of warm milk to put you to sleep.
>
> S. Earl Jarosh (ex. Steve?)
> N0HZ  (ex. KA0VYB) No Hertz, No Gain
> 612-868-1313
> earl at jarosh.org