On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 06:16:04PM -0500, Neal wrote:
> After the last meeting, it struck me that others may have dollar
> signs before their eyes, and as with linux, will gladly build upon
> the work - the donated, <free> work of others, becoming the Redhat
> of Twin Cities wireless.

Wow, that is pretty short sighted.

How about the $$s that are required to make it work in the first
place?

I know that there are people who wanna make a buck, and that's cool.

There are those that don't want it to make a buck, and that's cool.

But you can not do the full 'plan' without cash, and I doubt anyone
here is altruistic enough to donate the many thousands of dollars and
manhours just because it is fun.

Or if there is someone, very very cool, but I don't think there is
anyone on this list that is able to do so.

> If the cloud is successful, then commercial interests, whether
> individual or corporate, or a combination of the two, will use the
> network. This fact will transform the network into a de facto
> commercial entity. That incurs liability.

You ahve liability regardless.

> Once any thing of value is exchanged, this project will be a
> commercial enterprise. This group really should consider the
> ramifications of this: once commercial traffic is allowed on the
> cloud, and such traffic is transferred to the Internet, this group
> will become a wireless backbone supplier, and anyone running an AP,
> an ISP.

Again, short sighted.

> Considering the above, I strongly suggest, at the very least,
> incorporating as a non-profit. That way, any work that is done can
> only be used for the TCWUG wireless network, and any work: siting,
> propagation estimates, development methods and data, antenna
> configurations, et. al. would be proprietary, and could only be used
> if TCWUG, as a non-profit corporate entity, gives permission, in
> return for a fee, for the use of such facilities or proprietary
> methods and data. The moneys would be re-invested into TCWUG. Call
> it a cooperative.

Sure, and who will do the work?

Where does the initial money come from?

> I am <not> going to give anyone the benefit of my knowledge of and
> experience in urban radio propagation if that knowledge will be
> exploited for <their> enrichment, but I will gladly donate it as a
> volunteer for a non-profit, as long as the work is protected.

Your choice, no one is forcing you to do anything.

--
Mike Horwath           IRC: Drechsau         drechsau at Geeks.ORG
Home: 763-540-6815  1901 Sumter Ave N, Golden Valley, MN  55427