steve ulrich wrote:

> long ago in a galaxy far far away, (or around 18-24 months ago at a
> WUG meeting in bloomington) andy warner did a nice presentation of his
> hacks to put a wap11 into a die-cast enclosure.  complete with a
> discussion regarding PoE (power over ethernet) and some rudimentary
> lightning arrestor discussion.
>
> andy, not to sound like a nag but did you ever finish the picture
> editing and build notes process? ;-)

You know, I never quite did, and I'm under a crushing deadline
until about Wednesday, so it ain't going to happen before then
either - but I can summarise:

	I took a standard low-end commercial AP, and recased
	it in a weatherproof diecast box (from DigiKey), it
	is mounted on the antenna pole, about 5' below the
	antenna, and powered over the ethernet cable.

	Since it's had so much airtime, I can report that it has
	performed flawlessly through all the seasons.

	I took photos of each step. I will sit down with
	gimp/xv/photoshop as soon as I can and do the
	step-by-step, I promise.

I'm glad to see others are addressing the feedline-loss issue,
I settled for about 8' of 1/2" hardline, which should be costing
be somewhere < 1dB including connectors if memory serves me
correctly.

While we're talking about reducing the feedline loss, I've
had the opportunity to evaluate the fully integrated solutions
from Tranzeo (e.g. http://www.tranzeo.com/products.php?cmd=viewpage&id=167),
and have been quite impressed. If I can ever make it to a Tuesday
meeting (Tuesdays nights are difficult for me to schedule), I'll
bring one along for show and tell.
andyw at pobox.com

Andy Warner		Voice: (612) 801-8549	Fax: (208) 575-5634