-----Original Message-----
From: tcwug-list-bounces at tcwug.org [mailto:tcwug-list-bounces at tcwug.org] On
Behalf Of Gregory D. Luce
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2003 12:01 PM
To: tcwug-list at tcwug.org

I'm sure many are aware of this, but wanted to post it here as well:

CITYWIDE WIRELESS PLAN GAINING MOMENTUM
The Park Board has entered discussions with several telecommunications firms
to offer wireless Internet access citywide.

As Scott Russell reports in the Southwest Journal
(http://www.swjournal.com), Park Board Commissioner John Erwin has had "very
promising" talks with three companies interested in setting up a wireless
network throughout the city using routers on Park Board community centers
and on city-owned property downtown.

Erwin said the private firms would provide the infrastructure and management
expertise in exchange for a percentage of the profits. Users would be
required to pay a monthly fee for the wireless access. "We are going into
this with the hope that it would be significantly less than any DSL service
that is out there," Erwin said. "It would be another option on the phone
bill."

The City Council last month agreed to work with the Park Board on the
project, which Erwin first proposed in August. He expects a Request for
Proposals to be issued by the first of the year. The wireless network could
be operational by late spring.