steve ulrich wrote:

> i was really curious to try that out and went out and tried it from
> the park by orchestra hall and along the front of the hilton.  color
> me unimpressed, but candidly the weather for IETF wasn't all that
> conducive to hanging outside and "chillin'" with your laptop.
> coverage inside this time around was equally spotty.
>
> given the spectrum involved here color me a tad sceptical on this
> stuff until the signal processing gets better.

>From what I know of the [origina] Vivato product, I have
trouble believing that it will scale well. If it is still
attempting dynamic beam steering to increase the effective
range/throughput, I have to wonder what the graph of
<gain per client> against <number of clients> looks like.
Perhaps they have modified their approach, and are now more
of an exercise in integration (4 APs, 1 package, 1 antenna,
1 management headache.)

The cellular industry learned long ago that spatial
frequency re-use (reducing cell size) was the best way to
increase the number of supported users and call quality
as the user base increased.)

If there is some particular Vivato secret-sauce, I'd
be intrigued to learn more about it, and whether it
has it's roots in phased-array radar processing.

andyw at pobox.com

Andy Warner		Voice: (612) 801-8549	Fax: (208) 575-5634