Haudy Kazemi wrote:
> [...]
> Their site still says this, but would it require moveable parts to perform
> the antenna steering, or can this be handled similar to the way a CRT's
> electron gun magnetically steers an electron beam?
> [vivato pr deleted...]

Sort of like a CRT, no moving parts. A phased array controls
the direction the beam is focussed by containing many, many
tiny antennae and modifying the order in which each receives
the signal (we're talking miniscule delays here.) The fact
that you are controlling the pattern by controlling the
phase of the signal to a myriad small(*) antennae is what
gives these their name.

The idea that it can learn and modify the direction in real-time
on a per-client basis is certainly implied by the text, although
a static beam pattern would also match their prose.

footnote (*)
I mean small, in relation to the size of the antenna as a unit,
phased arrays can be as large as an office building:

http://www.fas.org/spp/starwars/program/soviet/hen_house.htm

andyw at pobox.com

Andy Warner		Voice: (612) 801-8549	Fax: (208) 575-5634