On 01/16 02:06 , Leif Pihl wrote:
>    Now or Future?:  {Status of: 802.11 v. 802.16 v. 802.20}
>    (2) I know that:  one or both are supposed to provide for much longer
>    distances,  one is more suited to transmissions while in motion  and
>    one will probably come to market faster because it's a variation on an
>    already existing protocol.
>
>    That's _IT_.  What I do not have is any real-world knowledge of what's
>    actually available now or in the near future, and how this technology
>    could affect my purchasing decisions.
>
>    - What is the current and near-term status of 802.16 and 802.20?

I've never heard of them before, and they sound like some company's
proprietary 'standards', which no one else will use. ;)

My advice is to treat wireless gear like any other technology gear. Buy it
when you need it; not before, not afterwards.

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator
Real-Time Enterprises