On a business trip to Greenville, SC, I learned at the public library
that a new company called Gorilla Networks, Inc. had wired up enough
hotspots to nearly blanket the downtown. After a few hitches involving
the antenna aimed at the library and some issues with settings in my
Windows 2000 laptop computer, I managed to get online from a park bench
and then in a restaurant across the street. Since the early March
weather was very nice it beat holing up in a dusty corner of a Kinkos
and I certainly couldn't beat the price. A flyer at the library included
a telephone number to call for questions or problems. It turned out to
be the cell phone of one of the owners. He was eager to help and came
out to meet me on a sunny Saturday afternoon to ferret out the settings
problems that were keeping me off of their network. They support the
network through a $500 a month, I think, cable broadband connection.
They have so many access points aimed around downtown, he said, that it
was unlikely I would even be sharing one with another user. I ran a
speed test from http://www.bandwidthplace.com and they clocked in just
over 3 megabits.

They have an interesting business plan. The free service downtown is one
of their principal marketing vehicles. They are selling service to
companies that want to have an internet and secure intranet available
inside their buildings. They take the internet access off of their open
wireless system and bring it inside the business with a series of secure
APs and then sign a service contract with the business. If an
organization is away from the downtown core, they use a bridge and
sometimes a repeater (no more than one) to reach out to their location.
They note that companies trying to sell wireless access to roving laptop
customers have not been financially successful. So they have found an
interesting middle ground. Free wireless access that opens doors for
them to write service contracts.

When you first try to get onto their network you reach the following
"landing page."

http://www.gorillanetworks.com/wirelessdowntown/portal/landing.html

Patrick Sheehy