On 05/05 11:32 , steve ulrich wrote:
> > > http://meshcube.org/english/specs.html
<snip>
> > $200 for a kit and $240 assembled? No thanks.
>
> well you can blame part of that on a strong euro. ;-)
>
> the balance of that doesn't seem too horribly out of whack.   if you
> consider that a wrt54g only has a single radio in it, doesn't support
> PoE and doesn't have quite the same level of horsepower with a street
> price of roughly $100-120.  $200 doesn't seem too bad.

mostly, I was looking at it from the standpoint of versatility. No, it's not
a direct replacement for your off-the-BestBuy-shelf  AP; but if for some
reason you need more versatility; the USB and *multiple* mini-PCI interfaces
offer a lot. You can add on SCSI cards, VGA cards, crypto accellerators,
keyboards, more Ethernet interfaces... you name it.

I might not have a need for a small, solid-state AP with a keyboard
interface and a VGA display; but I'll bet you *somebody* does, and they
might be willing to spend a few bucks extra to get it. :)

Carl Soderstrom.
--
Systems Administrator
Real-Time Enterprises