With the new 19 dbi antenna installed, I have noticed a definite improvement
in signal strength in the park. My aluminum PowerBook is attenuating the
signal to the internal card - a survey should be conducted with an external
card.

Most of the problems are scattering of waves by foliage, but I was surprised
with signal levels at specific areas of the Park. The Utne repeater doesn't
add much in the way of coverage until you get to the Garden area: it is a
clear line of sight to the panel antenna. Increasing the gain at Utne will
provide further increases in coverage at the Garden.

With my limited test, the area of fair to good signal includes the north
shore of the Loring Pond, the Gardens, the east side of the Upper Pond to
Harmon Place, the Tennis Courts, then south to the north shore of Loring
Pond.

We'll probably have to go with 19 dbi parabolic grids at MCTC, but let's see
how the 14 dbi panels work.

--
Neal: nkras at visi dot com
http://www.visi.com/~nkras