One final suggestion:  All the major players now offer phones with
Bluetooth
capability.  Many laptops have Bluetooth built-in, or you can get a
BT USB
fob.  I have net access on my phone, and using BT I can access my e-mail
with either my PDA or my laptop via the BT connection to my cell phone.

Mike Bird