I'm interested in this...is Jon Kerr the person to talk to about getting
involved, or is this more of a 'closed' group?  I'm certainly for this
project, provided it doesn't become something run by (insert private
monopoly of choice here).  I definitely do not want to see something like
has happened in Philadelphia where the city is not allowed to do public
wireless (IIRC this prohibtion came at the behest of Verizon).

-hk

At 04:51 PM 2/23/2005 -0600, Ben Kochie wrote:

>I am forwarding on some interesting info I got about St. Paul-wide WiFi
>
>- -ben
>
>  "Unix is user friendly, Its just picky about its friends."

the City of Saint Paul's wifi initiative. I welcome any and all feedback on
these items:

>1. The Saint Paul Broadband Access Project was part of a February 22
meeting at City Hall to begin mapping out a look at the city's
alternatives, per the Council's resolution in December, 2004 with a report
back called for on April 1, 2005. Participants also included
representatives from the Saint Paul Chamber, the city's Tech and Council
Research departments, and Council Member Lee Helgen's office.
>Discussion centered around general goals or issues involved in potential
citywide wifi or other broadband development.
>Included in benefits of a citywide approach were possibilities of lower
cost broadband services to small businesses, low-income and minority
neighborhoods - with related educational, employment and other
opportunities to address "digital divide" issues. Other forms of potential
economic and civic development included tourism or promotion for the city,
and opportunities to offer better and more cost-efficient city services
such as public safety, health etc. Council Member Helgen also noted the
advantages of a cohesive citywide system over a piecemeal wifi system based
upon "hotspots" such as those at coffeeshops etc. for business travelers.
>The Chamber representative noted concerns about the City's involvement and
what might be seen as potential competition with some private
telecommunications providers such as Comcast. We noted that many Saint Paul
businesses, including telecommunications firms, could be expected to
benefit from lower-cost wifi. Other participants noted that the city is
primarily interested in acting as a catalyst to achieve wifi's potentials,
with a public-private partnership a very possible option. Minneapolis RFP,
which seeks out bids from private telecommunications firms for a citywide
wifi system, was generally discussed as a possible model - among others.
>Research on these and other related subjects, including the city's current
telecommunications infrastructure (fiber optic lines etc.) was divided up
among participants with reports expected back at the next meeting on March
8. It was also agreed that attempts would be made to broaden the group
including Saint Paul school officials, the University of Minnesota,
Convention and Visitors Bureau, City Attorneys office and others.

>2. We are distributing the following general wifi resolution for precinct
caucuses on March 1. We'd appreciate any presenters or other support you
are willing to give:

>RESOLUTION RELATING TO THE EXPANSION OF WIRELESS AND OTHER HIGH SPEED,
>BROADBAND INTERNET AND OTHER TELECOMMUNICATIONS ACCESS OPPORTUNITIES FOR
>PRIVATE BUSINESSES, INSTITUTIONS AND THE GENERAL PUBLIC OF SAINT PAUL
>

>* WHEREAS, recent technological changes including the introduction of wi-fi
>networking, internet telephony (VOIP), high definition video and further
>expected breakthroughs have greatly improved options for transmission and
>receival of high speed broadband internet and other telecommunications
>signals; and
>
>* WHEREAS, while an estimated 25 million Americans currently use some form
>of high speed broadband, the lack of cable and DSL connection access in some
>geographic areas including Saint Paul and prices that have remained largely
>constant over the past five years has now seen us nationally drop from first
>to 13th in the world in proportion of access; and
>
>* WHEREAS, the role of high speed broadband access for business,
>educational, health, tourist, governmental, recreational and other
>informational or communication purposes has become increasingly important
>with the resulting lack of access for those unable to share its benefits for
>economic, geographic or educational reasons creating what is known as a
>"digital divide"; and
>
>* WHEREAS, numerous cities, municipalities and communities across the
>nation, including our neighbor the City of Minneapolis, have recently
>undertaken or completed projects to promote reduced cost wireless (wi-fi)
>networking covering broad geographic areas; and
>
>* WHEREAS, included in the potential benefits is cost savings and improved
>service opportunities for public safety, schools, inspectors, parks, public
>works, and other governmental departments; and
>
>* WHEREAS, we have similar needs and opportunities that require all Saint
>Paul businesses, governmental institutions and residents to have full access
>to state-of-the-art broadband internet and other communications facilities
>at affordable prices, and other groups such as the Saint Paul Broadband
>Access Project and the Twin Cities Wireless Users Groups have emerged as
>potential allies in such efforts; and
>
>*NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the City of Saint Paul immediately
>research and pursue any and all readily identifiable options in conjunction
>with these groups or others interested in creating affordable broadband
>access for all in the city who desire it.
>
>3. We are tentatively scheduled to be part of an April 19
telecommunications conference hosted by the Minnesota Council on Nonprofits
that would include a panel focusing on broadband (wifi) opportunitities. We
have also been talking with other groups about potential public events that
would highlight and hopefully focus the discussion about wifi pros and cons
in the Twin Cities. More on that as it develops.