all -

below is becca's request that i forward information relative to a
paper that she and david morris from the institute for local self-
reliance, have written.  it's an interesting perspective on things
and as you can see, she would be welcome to your input off or on-list.

becca - as an aside, and i'm not caught up on my local mnforum.org
mail given the largely poor SNR, but you might find parties
interested in your paper there as well.

further, a minor nit but, i hesitate to use the word "report" in
referring to this document given that it opens with a clear position
on the matter and posits the need for government involvement in
relatively short order.  i typically expect reports to at least
provide a veneer of objectivity.

for folks that are interested in this topic i would also encourage a
thorough read of thomas bleha's paper in the last issue of foreign
affairs magazine.  which is actually available online[1].  it
provides an interesting comparison of where the U.S. sits relative to
other countries in the adoption and deployment of broadband to the home.

Begin forwarded message:

> From: Becca Vargo Daggett <becca at ilsr.org>
> Date: July 6, 2005 4:51:41 PM CDT
> To: sulrich at botwerks.org
> Subject: [tcwug-list] request for posting
>

> Hello Steve -
> I wonder if you would be willing to post this to TCWUG.
>
> The Institute for Local Self-Reliance recently published a report
> "Who will own Minnesota's information highways?" A dated metaphor,
> yes, but it gets at our concern, which is the privatization of what
> should be public infrastructure. Proposals for Minneapolis'
> citywide network are due on July 18, and Saint Paul continues to
> move ahead on its plan, so now is the chance to encourage city
> leaders to build publicly owned networks that are not controlled by
> national providers.
> Anyone interested in the report can find it at http://www.newrules.org
>
> I would like to know what TCWUG listers think about Minneapolis'
> choice to go with a privately owned network, and the prospect that
> all of the city's broadband networks could be owned by large
> national companies. Anyone interested in the matter can feel free
> to contact me on- or off-list.
>
> Thanks, Becca Vargo Daggett
> Institute for Local Self-Reliance, New Rules Project

references
[1] - http://www.foreignaffairs.org/20050501faessay84311/thomas-bleha/
down-to-the-wire.html

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC