On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 03:11:15PM -0600, Leif Utne wrote:
> Thanks for that post. It echoes my sentiments exactly. The digital
> divide is a harsh reality, and a classic example of a market failure
> where government action, whether in the form of direct services or
> incentives to the private sector, is absolutely appropriate.
>
> This is not about beating up on big bad evil corporations. No
> corporation is inherently evil. But when bottom-line concerns trump the
> public good, such as when telcos' or cable providers' monopolistic
> practices actually stifle innovation and competition, government should
> step in to make sure business plays fairly (and competitively) and
> underserved communities get the services they deserve. The libertarians
> among us should be more concerned about large corporations stifling
> competition and innovation, which is what the Pennsylvania law does,
> than they should about taxpayer dollars going to support greater
> innovation and competition.

Oh, I dunno...  I read that and the first thought to my head is, "And
where did the telcos and cable providers get their monopolies?"  Is
it a true market failure if the problems are caused by a government-
granted monopoly?

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that