all -

in an attempt to provide some feedback to councilmember schiff that has
some specific relevance, might i suggest that interested parties read
the RFP (though from what i've read thus far it reads more like an RFI)
which is available from the city of minneapolis web site.

i've started a collection of links relative to the minneapolis wireless
which is available here [1]. the first link there is to the city's web
site which has a copy of the RFP and the associated appendices.  which
makes for educational reading in and of itself.  (were you aware that
there are approx. 6350 parking meters in minneapolis?)

while the discussion that's taken place thus far is interesting.  if
there is a desire to effect a meaningful impact on the direction that
the city takes with the network and the technologies selected it might
be best to work with the structure that has been selected and provide
meaningful input into the RFP as it stands as well as assisting as it
makes sense in the review process.

i.e.: RTFRFP. ;-)

references
----------

[1] - http://del.icio.us/stevilbot/msp-wifi

On May 15, 2005, at 10:47 AM, Becky_Pihl wrote:

> To:
> Steve Ulrich, TCWUG,
> TCWUG info &/or TCWUG Webmaster  and
> Minneapolis City Councilmember Gary Schiff (Ward 9),
>
>     cc: the "tcwug-list at tcwug.org" list server:
>

> Gents:
> I went to the Mpls DFL convention this past Saturday May 14th.
> (No Endorsement for Mayor;  WHAT A WASTE OF TIME!!!)
> While there, I had a brief conversation with my councilman, Mr. Gary
> Schiff, of Ward 9
> (http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/council/ward9/).
>
> I mentioned to him:
> the TCWUG.org web site (http://www.tcwug.org/),
> how you have meetings (http://www.tcwug.org/meetings/index.html),
> typically every second Tuesday of the month, how your organization is
> better informed as to Wi-Fi (and Wi-Max) issues than most other
> people, and my concern that the proposed City of Minneapolis' Wi-Fi
> network be "done right", including (but not limited to) compatibility
> with Wi-Fi versus Wi-Max.
>

> * I hope that this memo, sent to all of you, will start a conversation
> between the TCWUG and Mr. Schiff, such that Councilmember Schiff, one
> of the decision makers regarding the proposed Wi-Fi network in
> Minneapolis, will be better informed with his own questions, concerns
> &/or requirements  when the city's staff comes to him with the
> proposed system.
>
> * Please invite him, or his aide, to one of your meetings such that
> you can exchange information, and hopefully result in a better Wi-Fi
> system down the road.
>
> * At the very least, please send him some sort of a summary of your
> concerns so that he can pass them along to the relevant staff members.

{ snipped - misc. previous correspondence }

steve ulrich                       sulrich at botwerks.org
PGP: 8D0B 0EE9 E700 A6CF ABA7  AE5F 4FD4 07C9 133B FAFC