On Mar 7, 2006, at 11:59 PM, Haudy Kazemi wrote:

> Here is what San Fransisco is doing...they've already received several
> detailed proposals that contain ideas that might be useful here as
> well.
> If you see blacked out text in PDFs, try highlighting it then
> copying/pasting it into Notepad to see what is underneath.  I found
> this
> link in a post by 'yournet at hotmail dot com' on the
> "SeattleWireless Talk
> List" <talk at seattlewireless.net>.
>
> http://www.sfgov.org/site/tech_connect_page.asp?id=36612
>
> -hk

Note that San Francisco, like Minneapolis, issued an RFP for a
privately owned and operated network. They had two cursory public
fora, but also like Minneapolis, they came up with this plan largely
without public input. The submission deadline was February 22, and
bids are now being reviewed.

Many of the proposals that have come in would offer "free", ad-
supported wireless in the 300 kbps range.

For an alternative to the city's self-promotional news releases,
visit http://www.webnetic.net/

San Francisco is not a good model to follow. So far, Saint Paul is on
a much better path (though what the mayor makes of all the
information being gathered remains to be seen).

Becca Vargo Daggett
Insitute for Local Self-Reliance, http://www.newrules.org