Ignore the In-Reply-To Message ID header, just picked a convenient one
at the end of the thread.

I'll make a few points here:

*) Yes, maps.tcwug.org has been down for quite a while. I gave up on
maintaining it when the group died and there are much better options
now.

*) Talking about mesh networking in the metro is fun and all, but it's
unrealistic. USI Wireless has absolutely failed in my opinion (the
little bit of actual coverage they have is only due to being well over
the legal FCC limits in some areas, and blasting regular consumer access
points out of the water.. not in the spirit of the unlicensed spectrum
laws). Minneapolis (and every other metro unlicensed WiFi initiative)
has failed at actually achieving what they set out to do due to
interference or simply poor management. But hey, it's wonderful that my
tax dollars are going towards yet another horribly failed project while
also making my WiFi use a pain!

*) Be realistic. You may think you're paying for your unlimited internet
access to do with what you please (DSL, Cable, etc), but in most cases
you are directly forbidden by your terms of service from sharing it.
Even worse, you are responsible for what happens over it. Unless you're
willing to risk being blacklisted (and possibly ending up in court)
because someone decided to spam, download child pornography, or use P2P
file sharing over your open access point I suggest realigning your
perception of reality.

*) The 2.4GHz and 5.2/5.8GHz spectrum are *saturated*. 5.x GHz a little
less so, but it's still equivalent to a busy social gathering. Everyone
is talking louder to achieve a decent SNR. If you're truly interested in
any kind of long distance or wide area wireless network, I suggest
licensed spectrum, this is much easier for an educational institution or
business to procure than an individual.

With the negative out of the way, I'll put forth the following:

I'm still very interested in niche WiFi products, particularly those
that are suited to restricted or constricted environments. Steve Ulrich
was very helpful to the group in the beginning by hosting at Cisco and
offering useful discussions about *wireless* (not necessarily WiFi)
itself. I just do not believe that this group has much of a future if
people insist on narrowing down the topic to community WiFi discussions
which most of us have come to understand are doomed to failure.

Disclaimer? I worked for an unlicensed spectrum WiFi provider in western
Minnesota with over 3,500 square miles of coverage until 2005 or so.
They went bankrupt, they came out of bankruptcy, they're still doing
naughty illegal things in the middle of nowhere to have an inkling of a
chance at surviving. I've had zero interest (personal or profit) in any
business in Minnesota related to the Internet since then.