> Actually, the Max is setting the IP (from a pool).  Does this make a
> difference?  For what it is worth, when I look at the routing tables
> on the max, it lists the IPaddresses as /32 addresses.  The dialup
> user (mostly Win9X) shows a classful netmask.

If the address is assigned from a pool, then it is always /32.

The dialup user shows a classful netmask because it doesn't know what
it's talking about. IPCP (the PPP protocol for negociating IP addresses)
negociates a single IP address. Any client that thinks it has been
assigned more than 1 address, except where such has been explicitely
configured, has serious problems.

However: Note that some implementations of PPP place a netmask on the PPP
interface because their IP stacks require netmasks to be placed on all
interfaces, but the netmask on the PPP interface is not used and has no
meaning.

-Phil
++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++
To unsubscribe:	send unsubscribe to ascend-users-request at bungi.com