>From: Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu at internetcds.com>
>
>Why don't you want to give your users a PCi card?  WE've been using it and
>it works very well...

Several reasons, none of which have anything to do with the card per se:

1. The basic hardware installation is completely beyond most users
(in our experience). Reluctantly, they get their consultant in. The
consultant also cannot do it. We end up going out and doing it, and
the user is upset at their consult fees. This occurred repeatedly.
2. The install procedure is different for each version of Windows.
3. There is no Mac software.
4. If you want to use Frame Relay so the link is up all the time, you
must assign a /30 to the user. Further, the Maxen cannot assign an
address from a pool over FR.
5. If you use PPP, the connection drops when the client restarts.
They either cannot understand how to make it automatically reconnect
or they forget how to manually connect.

Many of these issues are due to limitations in Windoze and generual
user cluelessness, but they add up to a support nightmare. We've even
had to reimburse one irate user for his (clueless) consultant's fees.

We do have one customer that knows what they're doing running a card
in an NT server. I wouldn't even do that again. Whenever the NT
server is down, the link is down. Yet another alert in the NOC.

The cards are fine, and I'd use one personally--if there was Mac
software. But our experience shows that you need to control the link
as far down the line as you can, or suffer.

--

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor at infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/

"Where's my burrito?" -- Homer