Hi all,

We have a DSL Terminator 100 that's acting up in new and creative
ways. Whenever we make any change that affects the routing table,
such as adding, removing, enabling or disabling a connection profile
or route, the unit sends many routes to wanidle0 and the unit must be
reset.

As we also have several DSL Max 20s (and other Ascend gear) that
don't exhibit this problem, we figured that we must have some error
in a profile somewhere, and we did in fact find several profiles with
errors, most notably some profiles that inadvertently had BIR enabled
(the tech had copied a bridged account to make a routed account). We
also found some typos in IP addresses and subnet masks.

We fixed all that--and I mean _everything_--but the box is still very
unhappy. I even found a route from a typo that had been corrected
that would recur after every reset, even though the route appears
nowhere in the config or RADIUS. I eventually copied an empty profile
over the corrected profile and re-entered it from scratch, which
finally removed that route but did not fix the problem of routes
going to wanidle0.

My guess at this point is that the unit needs an fclear, nvramclear
and the configuration reloaded.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced a box becoming somehow
corrupted due to typos in profiles. If so, did the above fix it?

I'm primarily posting this as a warning to _be careful_ with your
configurations. Apparently, the DSL Terminator, at least, is not very
forgiving of human frailty, and will punish your foolishness in
painful ways.
--

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor at infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/