If you look in the Max reference manual, this will explain what you need to
do to make this work...

<excerpt from the manual>

Auth Send Attr 6,7

attributes 6 and 7. Typically, it generates appropriate values for RADIUS
attribute 6 (user-service) and 7 (framed-protocol) and includes
them in authentication requests for incoming calls. To support RADIUS
servers that should not receive that information, you can disable this
behavior.

Note: When this parameter is set to No, the system cannot
differentiate between terminal server users, async PPP users that
authenticate via the terminal server, and SLIP users that authenticate
via the terminal server.

Usage: Specify Yes or No. Yes is the default.
• Yes causes attributes 6 and 7 to be sent to the RADIUS Server in the
authentication request. Use this setting if you want to control access
to PPP and SLIP via the terminal server explicitly by the RADIUS
response, or if you use a MERIT RADIUS server.

• No excludes attributes 6 and 7 from authentication requests.
Example: Auth Send Attr 6,7=Yes

Dependencies: This parameter applies only to RADIUS authentication.

Location: Ethernet > Mod Config > Auth

...so you can either configure your RADIUS server's user profile with
attributes 6 and 7, or you can set this parameter to "No" and things should
work fine afterwards.

Hi all,

        I'm looking for suggestions. We have an Ascend Max 6000
that wont let people switch to ppp from the terminal.

        I have checked and ppp is allowed in both the
ethernet->mod config->Tserv options and
ethernet->answer->encaps areas.

        Funnily enough a direct PPP/PAP session still works. I have
included output from a login attempt.

        Also tried a new OS version.

        Any advice greatly appreciated. My sanity walks a thin line
today :)

Thanks,
David

** Welcome to the Internet **
Username:dave
Password:
NorthNet>sh us
I Session   Line: Slot: Tx    Rx    Service         Host            User
O ID        Chan  Port  Data  Rate  Type[mpID]      Address         Name
O 332684578 1:2   9:1   64K   64K   MPP[4]          203.57.24.253
max6000arm
I 332684615 1:18  6:7   49333 26400 Termsrv         N/A             dave
NorthNet>ppp
Requested Service Not Authorized
NorthNet>slip
Requested Service Not Authorized