> The only thing that I've seen that causes the Ethernet to 'go deaf'
> on a Max 20 is running OSPF on the interface. When it occurred to me,
> I turned OSPF off and on again and it came back. Don't recall if I
> had to restart.
>
> Whatever problems you're seeing with the Max 20, please report them
> to Lucent. I have many tickets opened on the Max 20/Terminator and
> they're not getting fixed. I need more voices telling them that there
> are serious problems with these boxes, and demanding fixes.

I'm a representative of this customer Mikko's ben referring to.
We are currently running multiple MAX20's with one or two
SDSL-cards, radius-authentication and RIP v2 running software-versions
7.10.6 or 8.0.3. On the other end we have Lucent's DSLPipelines with
software-versions 7.10.5 and 7.10.8. We are not running OSPF, but
we experimented with it and software-version 8.0.3. This was a disaster
because this caused the downstream of the DSLPipelines to fall from
2.3Mbit/s to something like 64Kbit/s. Only a reset of the DSLPipeline
would resume normal operation.

I'd like to specify this crashing-issue, sometimes they just crash
(no output to console) and sometimes the Ethernet-inetrface just
'goes deaf'. I've always just corrected the problem by giving them
a good-and-healthy dose of Nikolai Poweronoff, as shutting down
the other side of the interface (always a Cisco switch or router)
has no effect. Now I tried upgrading the software-version of a few
MAX20's that have been crashing the most to 8.0.3. So far so good,
they have been up for a few days now, but this problem of the downstream
is back again. Not so seriously, but I've been getting reports of a few
cases from our helpdesk. Too soon to say anything definate yet.

Any suggestions are much appriciated.

Cheers,

Anssi Sallinen
Network Engineer