>  > The only thing that I've seen that causes the Ethernet to 'go deaf'
>>  on a Max 20 is running OSPF on the interface. When it occurred to me,
>>  I turned OSPF off and on again and it came back. Don't recall if I
>>  had to restart.
>>
>>  Whatever problems you're seeing with the Max 20, please report them
>>  to Lucent. I have many tickets opened on the Max 20/Terminator and
>>  they're not getting fixed. I need more voices telling them that there
>>  are serious problems with these boxes, and demanding fixes.
>
>I'm a representative of this customer Mikko's ben referring to.
>We are currently running multiple MAX20's with one or two
>SDSL-cards, radius-authentication and RIP v2 running software-versions
>7.10.6 or 8.0.3. On the other end we have Lucent's DSLPipelines with
>software-versions 7.10.5 and 7.10.8. We are not running OSPF, but
>we experimented with it and software-version 8.0.3. This was a disaster
>because this caused the downstream of the DSLPipelines to fall from
>2.3Mbit/s to something like 64Kbit/s. Only a reset of the DSLPipeline
>would resume normal operation.

If turning OSPF on causes your SDSL throughput to drop drastically,
report it to Lucent. I've never run OSPF on our Max 20 that uses SDSL
line cards, but I didn't see that particular problem when I used OSPF.

>I'd like to specify this crashing-issue, sometimes they just crash
>(no output to console) and sometimes the Ethernet-inetrface just
>'goes deaf'. I've always just corrected the problem by giving them
>a good-and-healthy dose of Nikolai Poweronoff, as shutting down
>the other side of the interface (always a Cisco switch or router)
>has no effect. Now I tried upgrading the software-version of a few
>MAX20's that have been crashing the most to 8.0.3. So far so good,
>they have been up for a few days now, but this problem of the downstream
>is back again. Not so seriously, but I've been getting reports of a few
>cases from our helpdesk. Too soon to say anything definate yet.

When they crash, they don't reset themselves? I've never seen that
(well, maybe once). What does the fatal error log show?

As to the throughput, are you seeing any errors on the lines? The
only time I say throughput go to hell was when I applied a complex
filter (12 input and 12 output filters) to an interface. i had to
remove the filter, although the box was lightly loaded.

Other than that, as i said to Mikko, we've had RAIDUS Authentication
cause major, major problems. If you can experiment with not running
it on a box, I'd suggest that.
--

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor at infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/