>  > If turning OSPF on causes your SDSL throughput to drop drastically,
>>  report it to Lucent. I've never run OSPF on our Max 20 that uses SDSL
>>  line cards, but I didn't see that particular problem when I used OSPF.
>
>What I've heard of Lucent's tech-support doesn't encourage me to
>take any action towards them. I'll try to apply some pressure towards
>them.

Please do. It verges on a complete time waste, but we've got to get
these problems fixed or buy other gear.

>  > When they crash, they don't reset themselves? I've never seen that
>>  (well, maybe once). What does the fatal error log show?
>
>No, they just crash. And no, the fatal error log shows nothing.

Bad power?

>  > As to the throughput, are you seeing any errors on the lines? The
>>  only time I say throughput go to hell was when I applied a complex
>>  filter (12 input and 12 output filters) to an interface. i had to
>>  remove the filter, although the box was lightly loaded.
>
>Not in a scale that would warrant this. Some MAX20's give me a few
>CRC's from the WAN-line occasionally, but this is pretty normal. This
>also occurs with both software-versions (7.10.6 & 8.0.3). We have
>only about 5-6 filters on the MAX20, so this is not a problem as I see
>it.

For grins, you might try removing the filters, just as a test.
Perhaps while a period of poor throughput is occurring?

>  > Other than that, as i said to Mikko, we've had RAIDUS Authentication
>>  cause major, major problems. If you can experiment with not running
>>  it on a box, I'd suggest that.
>
>Ok, this is what I've heard also from Makko. The problem is that
>I cant't find any relevance from the mailing-list archives to
>a Radius-problem similar to mine.
>
>Radius is crucial to us. We use it to authenticate DSLPipelines and
>to distribute routes, so that we don't have to add static routes
>to our routers. Due to this we are very reluctant to drop radius.
>My opinion is that we should atleast test this with a few MAX20's,
>but I'm yet to convince my superiors on the fact. If you (or anyone
>else) have information, examples or anything else to give me about
>radius-authentication and MAX20's I'd appricciate it very much.

I believe I've posted most of my problems with rad-auth on the Max 20
to the list. Poke around the archives, and if you don't find anything
I'll try to give you a summary.

I'd strongly suggest that you at least test on a single box without
rad-auth. It may not be the problem for you, but we've been forced to
stop using it entirely on the Max 20/Terminator.

I'm not sure what you mean by using RADIUS to distribute routes.
You're running a routing protocol, RIP, for that, aren't you? You
don't have to give that up.
--

Peter Lalor           Infoasis
plalor at infoasis.com   http://www.infoasis.com/