Mick,

I genuinely wouldn't know where to start when trying to identify a good
physical connection from a bad one. Presumably a shorter line has reduced
resistance/impedance, are there any other readily measurable factors that
can be taken into account? The BT engineers were apparently surprised at how
good the quality of the line turned out to be...

I can now confirm that this was definitely something to do with the
configuration of the pipeline... I've made sure that at both ends STAC
compression was turned off, swapped to make sure PPP was the only
encapsulation type that could be negotiated (not MPP etc...) then made sure
bridging was disabled everywhere in the configurations. I saved the
configurations to flash and reset the pipeline with my fingers crossed.

On coming back up, the pipeline said:

Port Up: 00:00:04
Rx signal present
Line Q: 15db Good

It looked like something on the pipeline was hogging processor time and
causing large packets to be dropped or errored. The reported line quality
now drifts between 7db and 8db. There are fewer CRC errors by a huge factor:

20-300 WAN Stat
>Rx Pkt:       4685
 Tx Pkt:       4756
 CRC:        237