Hi Matthew,

One thing that you will want to be aware of is that if you are testing the NAT /
Telnet setup - is that the machine you are testing from will need to be on
another network than the one the Pipeline is on. In other words, if you try and
Telnet to the Pipeline's IP assigned by the ISP while you are on, say a
192.168.0.0 network or similar and so is the Pipeline - this will not work in my
experience. Of course you would never do this in real life but when setting it
up I was on the same network and trying to go out and back so to speak.

I almost drove myself crazy with this once thinking it was not working and
didn't discover until I tried it from another location it was actually working
fine.

You mentioned turning off STAC and you should disable VJ Comp as well. Van
Jacobsen Compression applies only to packets in TCP applications, such as Telnet
(one of the things you mention). From a conversation I had with an Ascend
engineer one time when we were troubleshooting very similar problems to those
you describe on a  T1 between 2 P130's,  he said VJ and STAC were most useful on
ISDN and slower type connections and that it would actually slow down T1 or
faster links. This was indeed the problem in our situation.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Scott Starbuck
Aobe Network Group

++ Ascend Users Mailing List ++